Instructor who was teaching out of BassPro had 327 of his students who will not get their permits approved because the instructor did not teach a course that complied with state law.
We try to stress to prospective students that there are unfortunately a bunch of instructors out there who are offering the class for cheap, but you sometimes get what you paid for. These poor people lost their money and now will have to pay it again. At least the State Police are waiving their application fee.
See the link below for a listing of all instructors who have had their certifications revoked already. There are more to come unfortunately!!!!
Now that you have obtained one or more concealed carry permits and have some training under your belt, it is time to started thinking about the next steps.
We are excited to announce that we will be putting on a Concealed Carry Mindset class. See below for a class description. We will be offering this class on April 19th and it will be about 4-5 hours long. We are offering an morning and an afternoon class. It will mostly be a hands on practical class. If interested, you can sign up at our website at www.blackhawkdefense.com and click on the "Register for Class" tab.
Concealed Carry Mindset Class
This much anticipated class goes into the mindset that one needs to think about now that they are going to be carrying concealed. This class will explore the psychological and physical aspects that one needs to be prepared for when carrying and if involved in a shooting. This class has both a classroom aspect to it but also is very hands on with many practical exercises.
The State of IL has decertified 2 IL CCW instructors. This happened down state IL but don't be surprised when it happens closer to Chicago. This all happened after the IL State Police received many complaints on the instructors for handing out certificates to individuals who had not completed the class.
The State Police audited the 2 instructors and found that 98 of their students to not satisfy the requirements for the IL CCW permit as required by law. The State Police said they will be rejecting those 98 permits.
Imagine if you were one of those students, not only might you get in trouble for falsifying your application but they are also out all that money and will have to go somewhere else to take the class and pay again.
In a previous posting on our Blog, I mentioned the importance of selecting an instructor. The cheapest doesn't necessarily mean the best or even average. You sometimes get what you pay for. Pick a place that has a reputable reputation. If it is hard to find that, look at Cabela's and Gander Mountain. They aren't going to have instructors in there (they usually aren't employees of the company) that aren't legit. They usually have to go through a heavy "weeding out" process before they are even allowed to teach in those stores.
If you want to read the full article, click here, or go to the link below.
Selecting an Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor, pay attention to the following criteria:
1) The best approach is be a smart consumer
2) Do some homework - look at a reputable company like Cabela's or Gander Mountain, who are very selective on who they do business with. These types of companies generally offer classes at their locations and so you can rest assured they are legit.
3) Get referrals - with the internet, it is easy to search an instructor to see if there are any good or bad reviews on the instructor or firm.
4) Pick a reputable company - being on the Illinois State Police website means only that the instructor is approved, not the quality of instruction they offer.
5) Interview the prospective instructor - ask a lot of questions, find out how long they have been training. Be cautious of ANY instructors who have not been teaching for a while or a firm that hasn't been around for a while. You don't want someone who jumped on the Illinois Concealed Carry bandwagon.
6) Check out the instructors credentials/biography - the more credentials and the longer the instructor has been teaching, generally the more experience and individualized attention an instructor can give you.
Check out this article from Concealed Carry magazine which covers the this topic and more about Illinois Concealed Carry. You might see a familiar company name mentioned in the article.
Another article recently published:
This is where red flares should be going off like it is the 4th of July for the consumer! Here are three critical issues consumers should consider before choosing a firearms training provider...
Bait & Switch Pricing Unqualified Instructors Training Institution Background