Selecting an Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor, pay attention to the following criteria:
1) The best approach is be a smart consumer
2) Do some homework - look at a reputable company like Cabela's or Gander Mountain, who are very selective on who they do business with. These types of companies generally offer classes at their locations and so you can rest assured they are legit.
3) Get referrals - with the internet, it is easy to search an instructor to see if there are any good or bad reviews on the instructor or firm.
4) Pick a reputable company - being on the Illinois State Police website means only that the instructor is approved, not the quality of instruction they offer.
5) Interview the prospective instructor - ask a lot of questions, find out how long they have been training. Be cautious of ANY instructors who have not been teaching for a while or a firm that hasn't been around for a while. You don't want someone who jumped on the Illinois Concealed Carry bandwagon.
6) Check out the instructors credentials/biography - the more credentials and the longer the instructor has been teaching, generally the more experience and individualized attention an instructor can give you.
Check out this article from Concealed Carry magazine which covers the this topic and more about Illinois Concealed Carry. You might see a familiar company name mentioned in the article.
Another article recently published:
This is where red flares should be going off like it is the 4th of July for the consumer! Here are three critical issues consumers should consider before choosing a firearms training provider...
Bait & Switch Pricing Unqualified Instructors Training Institution Background